Multiple Questions  

RSS

Donald "Donney" Clark
(@donneyclark)
01/03/2019 11:43 am  

I apologize.  The following questions are just copied from threads I created in the SketchUp Community forum:

• We currently use PDFs exported from LayOut and then import them into Illustrator in order to create [flyers and brochures].
    Is there a way to use LayOut for this whole process that would be more effective and efficient?
  • What/where are the best tutorials for learning Profile Builder?  I have already watched videos that SketchUp Essentials has about it.
  • It would be nice to have drafting standards integrated/integrable into LayOut.
    E.g.  https://www.nationalcadstandard.org/ncs6/   (Maybe this actually gets into the need for better LayOut tutorials, including Scrapbooks tutorials.)

Topic Tags
John Brock
(@johnsketchup4builders-com)
Member Admin
01/03/2019 5:58 pm  

Hi Donald!

No worries-

PDFs exported from Layout and into Illustrator for fliers - sounds like you have a good workflow already.  I typically do it all in Layout and then export finished presentation as PDF, but if you have other things to add in Illustrator, seems OK to me.  What kinds of things are you adding in Illustrator that you cannot do in Layout?

Profile Builder Tutorials - I did a bunch of them for Dale years ago - I basically learned by trial and error (lots of error), especially with Assemblies.  Sure there are new tutorials by now, YouTube is the best way or you may reach out to Dale at PB3 for more direction.  I mention it in the book for my workflow - I call it "grouped layers" where I model individual trim types on their own layer (so Estimator can report materials), then group all of these into one group on a given layer to control visibility (like all Exterior Trim groups grouped on my Exterior Trim layer to control vis)

Drafting standards - that is a bit over my pay grade, I simply do not do enough of it.  I model everything vs 2D, but use Layout when I need working drawings.  My primary workflow these days is to bring other people's (builders) existing drawings to life, so not in Layout as much.  You might ask Mike Brightman (Ask Mike) - he developed ConDoc Tools and is very knowledgeable on this subject.

John Brock 

ReplyQuote
Donald "Donney" Clark
(@donneyclark)
04/03/2019 5:01 pm  

"What kinds of things are you adding in Illustrator that you cannot do in Layout?"  My boss uses Illustrator, so I'm not sure.

Ever so often I am doing something that Profile Builder might be beneficial for.  We currently have PB2.  If/when we upgrade to PB3, it sounds like a really great idea to contact Dale directly.  (I am planning to buy a copy of your book as soon as possible.)

I have been considering ConDoc Tools for about a year.  It seems like the plugin is better geared towards AIA Architectural Graphic Standards.  I am not an architect nor do I work for an architectural firm.  I believe AIA standards are beyond what I need.

Thank you!!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Skip to toolbar

Working

Please Login or Register