Chapter 10 - Basement Figures 10.40 and 10.41

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Pags
 Pags
(@pags)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to draw the footings as you describe in chapter 10 on page 78 for the "Basements" section.  However the dimensions are printed so small that I can't read them.  Also the dimensions appear to apply to the walls and not the footings... I suppose I can figure them out by doing the math using the footings width and wall thickness you defined in the first paragraphs.  Actually I'm thinking that perhaps figures 10.40 and 10.41 are mistakes because they have far more detail than figures 10.42  and 10.43

Can you provide pdf's with better images of figures 10.40 and 10.41 so I can draw them myself.

Thank You

John Brock
(@johnsketchup4builders-com)
Member Admin

Hello!  Certainly - I understand.  Here is a link to a folder with all of the figures from the book https://brockworks.box.com/s/ygnmym97fkgrbjhhj0pew7xc98m6hwnn

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  You can always email me directly at john@sketchup4builders.com.

John

ReplyQuote
Pags
 Pags
(@pags)
Topic starter  

Thanks John... I appreciate the quick response!

ReplyQuote
Pags
 Pags
(@pags)
Topic starter  

Hi John,

I'm back to working on recreating the drawings in your book this morning.  Working in a hands on approach, rather than just reading, helps me to better learn the material.  So I'm trying to draw a model of the house you model in your book as I read through the book... perhaps this is too much and not your intention for the reader to do?

Anyway, I realize now that my struggles in drawing the basement are due to not having imported, scaling, and layering the drawings as you describe in  "workflow" in Chapter 7.  I see now that Figures 10.40, and 10.41 assume that the foundation floor has been imported and scaled and that you are tracing the footings from them.

So I browsed through the preceding chapters to see where I may have missed the step for importing the drawings specific to the house your book models and couldn't find it (other than where you discuss the workflow process in general terms in Chapter 7).   So I'm just suggesting perhaps to include something on your website for downloading the specific floor-plans and a few details describing the process (in addition to the steps already described in the workflow as they are in general terms).  So far I used figures 9.1 and 10.39 from the link you sent me... but, I don't see an appropriate figure for the main floor plan.

Thanks again for providing a link to the figures... it is helpful.

Pags

ReplyQuote
John Brock
Member Admin

Are you asking about importing PDF or DWG drawings?  Since I am working primarily from already designed house plans, I prefer to get them as PDFs vs DWG (although I do like to have the DWGs occasionally).  The reason I prefer the PDFs is that I can use PDF Importer (spoiler, it is my plugin) to bring in the drawings, delete unneeded stuff like notes, title blocks, etc. to reduce file size and clutter, then scale them and put on proper floor plan layer.  I use it every day and is a huge time saver (for me).  If that is what you referring to, you can find it at http://www.sketchuppdf.com/ or on my estimator store at www.estimatorforsketchup.com - should be a link to it on the su4b site as well.  Hope I answered your question.

ReplyQuote
Pags
 Pags
(@pags)
Topic starter  

John, no I'm not asking how to import... but thanks for pointing me to your PDF importer.

I'm pointing out that, IMHO, the book is missing a step.

In the "Basement" Section of your book in Chapter 10 you are modeling the basement of a house (that is the focus of the book), that I'm trying to model too.  But I can't because I don't have the floor plan drawings imported that you trace the footings from.  Neither do I have access to them.  Nor do It know what elevations they should be stacked at.  That information is not provided, well as far as I can see anyway.

The "Basement" section of Chapter 10 begins by describing drawing/modeling the footings by using imported drawings.  I found it confusing because it is assumed that reader knows that the house drawings have already been imported into SketchUp.  But the details of importing them weren't described prior so the reader is unaware.... thus the confusion.   So, for me at least, its confusing to read about drawing the footings by tracing the drawings when you're unaware that the drawings had been imported.

Sorry, Im trying to write this without coming across as a complainer, because the book has been a big help for me in drawing an addition to my home.  I'm a cabinet maker and normally use SketchUp with the Woodworking template so I have a slightly different perspective on how to use SketchUp than someone that uses it normally with the Architectural template.

Anyway, I think the part is missing are some details describing the imported drawings and a source for them.  On page 47 in Chapter 9, the last paragraph, simplifies it.  Its reads as follows 

Now that I have my existing site modeled, take a look at the foundation plan for this project and how it relates to the existing site model.  To revisit the workflow described for importing drawings, I stacked the floor plans for the project and separated them at their proper elevations.  I also added the site drawings and aligned the site with the floor plans.

But the foundation plan you refereed to is not there on page 47, nor 46 or 48 (after looking around I found it on page 77, figure 10.39, but didn't find it until after I read chapter 10.).  Furthermore I didn't make the correlation until after trying to draw the footings and looking back to figure out if I missed something.  

I think that this brief statement in Chapter 9 should be repeated and expanded on, in the Basement section of Chapter 10 just before  discussing modeling the footings, aas well as a source for someone to download the floor plans so they can be imported into SketchUp, as well as what he elevations are of the floor plans.

But too late now since the book is published.  So I'm suggesting that someplace on your website you have a place for downloading the necessary floor plan drawings, as well as the stacking information, for the guy trying to model the house your book is focused on, as he reads along in the book.  I can't be the only that wants to actually draw the model as an example in order to learn this process.

Anyway please don't take this as criticism, as the book has been very helpful for me, and I eventually figured out my stumbling block

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
John Brock
Member Admin

Thanks for the feedback!  I will sort through your comments and see if I can do a blog article or something for future reference.  I will also see about uploading the floor plans, etc.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Skip to toolbar